My friend Kate’s birthday was coming quickly and I didn’t have a clue what to give her for her special day. With a bit of luck I found out that she doesn’t have a sewing machine cover for her new Bernina. Kate is a lover of all Kaffe Fassett fabric designs (same as me). So this was an easy decision to make : quilt a colorful sewing machine cover.
Fabric choice was all clear. But what about the pattern? Normal piecing, paper piecing or even appliqué design? At the end it was a n easy decision : I prefer colorful fabrics and easy patterns. So I took measurements of my Bernina and went for squares – charm pack size 5″ x 5″. A layout of 4 x 6 rows, i.e. 24 different squares all in bright reds, pinks and oranges.
After piecing the squares I made a sandwich and quilted the sewing machine cover with wavy lines using the walking foot. I have added 4 straps and the binding. Voila, here we have the finished cover. I have tested it on my sewing machine if the cover fits well. From the front :
It is exactly a year that I finished the Horizon quilt top. Since then it was waiting on the shelf for further procedure. I had the backing fabrics, but no time to make the sandwich and start quilting. This week I received a bulky parcel from Cottonpatch with a delivery of my favorite wadding : Quilters Dream Cotton Natural Select. So, no more excuses and I started today piecing the backing, got the wadding out of the bag, cleaned the quilt top from loose threads and finally (after a year) made the quilt sandwich.
This is what I have on the needles : knitting an easy triangle shawl for cool days in the winter or cool nights in the summer. I am using my last – fourth – ball of Drops Kid-Silk and I hope to finish it soon. The wool is a dream, at first I had to get used to the very thin wool, but now it’s OK. I am knitting on 47″ red lace circulars from Chiaogoo.
The only project that I have finished this week was a set of four chair cushions for my friend Jane. She has redecorated her house, red is her favorite color and she wanted some cushion covers to match her new curtains and table runners.
This quilt is for a baby girl just a few weeks old. She is the granddaughter of my friend Joan. Last year when browsing on the net I saw this baby quilt at Craftbuds and I liked the design. Here my version :
When Joan asked me to a make baby quilt, I remembered the Citrus and Mint Baby Quilt. So I got out my pink fabrics and started. When I made the first layout just with the pinks I thought it would be nice to get in also a touch of yellow. The quilt I made is larger than in the Craftbuds post. I have altogether 80 blocks instead of 42. The quilt is approx. a cot size. I have worked with the same cutting directions : 6,5″ squares as well as 2,5″ squares for the corners, but I used double of the material.
Some details of piecing and pinning :
I decided to quilt it in free-motion with meanders as I do not want to get out of practice.
Binding is in a light fuchsia shade.
Pink Baby Quilt details
quilt size : 48″ x 60″ / 122 x 152 cm
wadding : Quilters Dream Cotton in select natural quality
More animals after the hedgehogs! It was such fun to work on the “large” hedgehogs, that I decided to do some smaller ones. I used the idea from Elizabeth Hartman’s website and made pillow covers with a hedgehog between two foxes. The real Mickey cat is enjoying his animal company!
The fox block was sewn quickly as there are not so many pieces. To get a good result when sewing the small hedgehog, I started to check the unit sizes after each step. So when I sew all units together that they match. The small hedgehog as an ideal block to train an exact 1/4″ seam allowance and precise pressing. Anyway it was fun to see how the block comes together. The hedgehog/fox pillow covers are free-motion quilted – stippled.
Since I have passively followed the Dog Gone Cute quilt along by Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts, I thought it was time to make some more hairy friends. I decided to make some pillow covers that will stay on our sofa. As I am a big fan of Kaffe Fasset, the fabric choice was made quickly – both for the hedgehog/fox and dog blocks.
Lorna has made a superb job with the pattern, it is understandable and easy to follow. I have quilted these covers using the walking foot in an irregular wavy pattern.
On this place I would like to share photos from Andrea of the table runner I gave her. Andrea likes bright colors and it can be seen also in here home. Love it!
This is my last sewing project in 2015, I am slowly getting packed for my trip to Prague. I have sorted out my stash, cleaned up my sewing room and I am getting ready for the festive season.
Have a wonderful week, thank for stopping, Barbora